Thursday, December 16, 2010

How to Repair Pickup Tool Box Lid Latch

     One very annoying problem I had lately was the with my truck toolbox. The lid latch on the driver's side broke and I was unable to find a replacement part on the internet or anywhere else. I removed the latch and discovered that the bolt that held the lid open was broken off at the sqared-off shoulders. (Check out the photos I posted). This bolt is 1/4" in diameter and 1/2" long on the short leg; a 90 deg. bend,  and 3" long with the last 7/8"  of the long leg squared-off. The bolt had sheared off at the sqared-off shoulders.

   I ran an internet search for "tool box lid latch" and discovered a whole community of people blogging about how difficult it is to get repair parts for these particular tool box latches or any tool box latches. I decided it be easier and less time consuming to just fabricate a part in my shop.
  
   I rummaged in my boxes of junk metal looking for a rod with a 90 deg. bend since getting a good bend would be the most difficult part of the fabrication. I found a piece of 3/16" rod with the 90 deg. bend. It was 1/16" larger but I ground it down pretty quickly. I cut it to length, rounded the ends as needed, squared off 7/8" long leg, drilled the hole for the latch pin, and there it was! the pin fit perfectly. I remounted the whole latch assembly and I was ready to go to work.

   You know, after all that work, I realized that I could have used a cheap caulking gun....caulking guns have a rod of the same size with the 90 deg. bend. I'll remember that for next time...Happy New Year.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Frndz.....
    Great Information! Nice post,it is really very helpful for me.One of the few articles I’ve read today.I’m saying thanks

    Truck toolbox

    ReplyDelete